My pregnancy with Berkeley began in Texas and ended in Kentucky...we like to call her our little souvenir! My pregnancy with her was neither easy or predictable as I endured many weeks of nausea and vomiting, had a rough time with my cerclage, and was placed in the hospital a few times with contractions...not to mention the 5 weeks of bedrest. However, when baby Girl was sufficiently baked she decided to make us wait past her due date to meet her. So, two days past Berkeley's due date Matt took me, all large-and-in-charge, to the hospital to start the induction.
In her nursery at 5 am leaving for the hospital
(it is obviously not finished...I just couldn't decide on a name for her monogram and those things stuck to the wall are vinyl birds that I haven't placed yet...I know, I know, I had 10 months to decide!
(it is obviously not finished...I just couldn't decide on a name for her monogram and those things stuck to the wall are vinyl birds that I haven't placed yet...I know, I know, I had 10 months to decide!

We arrived at the hospital a little after 6, registered, and I was in my lovely hospital gown by 7 am. After a few failed attempts at placing the IV, and a lot of bruising, I was finally placed on pitocin. Now, to say that I was a little disappointed was kind of an understatement because I am one that really likes the drama of going into labor...but once I saw her...I could have cared less how she got here!! The doctor came in and broke my water around 9:30 and the monitor was showing contractions, but I was not in a lot of pain. By the time it was 11 I was only 4 cm dilated, still not a lot of pain, but I still went ahead and got the epidural. I had to be monitored closely because my blood pressure dropped to 95 over 51...needless to say, I felt a little out of it. After getting my pressure under control, things sped up a little and I began feeling the pain around 4 pm. My entire labor my contractions were 2 minutes apart! Finally, they got strong enough to really change my cervix and before I knew it I was 7 cm and starting to feel EVERYTHING on the left side of my body. After a lot of shifting, tossing, and turning to try and get the epidural to work EVERYWHERE- I know, novel idea, huh?- I began to feel pressure and yelled for the nurse. Within 10 minutes I went from 7 to crowning and my body began to push even though I was trying my best not to. My doctor suited up as fast as he could, all the while telling me to concentrate on not pushing- that's a man for ya! Then things got very scary. The baby's heart rate dropped, and then they couldn't detect it at all. It was pure chaos. Everyone was yelling at me to PUSH- we weren't even waiting for contractions and I was not getting a break in between pushes. There was no counting to 10 and getting to rest. One nurse was checking my pulse, while the other was trying to find the baby's. Finally, after about 4 attempts as pushing as hard as I possibly could, Berkeley Grace was delivered. It was a very scary few minutes, as she was blue, and had to be whisked away. I didn't even get to hold her initially. I just kept screaming, asking if she was okay... then I heard it, her first cry. Big sigh of relief! My poor baby was so bruised from her fast and furious delivery, but doing well and not in need of any oxygen.
My bruised baby girl
Baby Berkeley brought gifts for Ava and Tal- maybe that is why she was so late...shopping and wrapping presents can take a while!!
Ava getting to hold Berkeley for the first time- however, at this point she still didn't have a name!
weighing in at 8 lbs 2 oz and a little over 21 inches long! I can't believe she was able to fit into my tummy!

Seeing Baby Girl for the first time after her bath- notice: I already have take-out! I was absolutely starving after not eating for 12 hours!!
Getting ready to leave the hospital- it took FOREVER because so many women were being discharged at the same time






























4 comments:
I am so glad that everything turned out well, scary stuff! She is so big and absolutely beautiful! Believe it or not, your story got me excited to have another girl! Thank you!
Just so glad you are both okay after that delivery--every one is a miracle to me...she is beautiful! And her room is SO cute!!! :)
In reply to your comment on my blog...I have just cut out showering all together! :)
And, I'm not committing to another one, but I think you should definitely keep on going! Your kids are too cute!
you are both beautiful!
Post a Comment