Tuesday, May 20, 2008

San Antonio Stroll

This past weekend we headed to San Antonio. Matt and I are determined to see as much of Texas as we can before we move in December. Along the way we learned many things!
1) Texas is one big 'ol state!!
2) TX has a NO TOLERANCE policy for speeding. Yep, thats right, we were going a whopping 3 mph over the speed limit. It was hard not to chuckle at the officer! Luckily he only gave us a warning- I just chucked it in my glove box with all of the other warnings I have received during my time here in TX- I guess the only difference is on this warning I wasn't going 16 OVER! We are just used to being blown off of the road in KY if we aren't going at least 5 over! Get this- we were PASSING people going 65! Needless to say, it took us a little longer than we anticipated!

"You have got to be kidding me- my parents are always followed by those blue and red lights!"
"What's the hold-up?"
"Just kiss up like you always do and we will get off with a warning!"
3)Lubbock or Leave it?...Leave it! The Dixie Chicks were right! Matt and I made a quick, well I say quick- meaning like a two hour pit stop in the grand town of Lubbock on our way to SA. I can tell you I got my fair share of the city when we moved two summers ago. We had to move there so that Matt could do his Anatomy class on Tech's campus. I didn't last the entire 8 weeks- more like 4. I left as soon as I could find someone heading East! Well this time we had to stop to check out some brick that we were thinking about putting on our new house. We drove right by campus and our old- emphasis on old- apartment. It was the only one that we could find that was furnished- yeah maybe back in the 1970's!
Where Matt spent a lot of time looking at dead bodies!

Our Lubbock Abode
I wouldn't recommend living here! Matt and I found it online and it looked MUCH better! I could practically cook an egg while sitting on the toilet and taking a shower without setting off the fire alarm was rare! OH, the memories!
4) Gas costs an arm and a leg! Enough said! Funny story about gas and our little trip. Just as we were leaving SA, Matt decided to get gas. First we stopped at Shell (because it was the cheapest of course!) It was taking him an awfully long time to fill up and finally he got in the car and said the tanks aren't working. So we headed across the street- 10 cents more might I add- to get gas. Same problem- the pumps weren't working! What?!? After about 10 minutes of pure frustration as to why no one had any gas, Matt figured out that he had to lift the lever- can you say brain fart!!
Even Ava Ryan is shocked at the price of a gallon!
5) Tide to Go really works! Unfortunately to find this out meant that Ava Ryan had to fall off of a bench at Rudy's and bust her lip, then wipe it all over my white shirt! But- trust me- the stuff is magic! We met Jed, Rachel, and Nolan at the restaurant where Ava ate her weight in corn! They are our old University of Kentucky friends who just happen to live in San Antonio now! Too bad they live so far away- we have a great time hanging out with them:(
Nolan and Talmage meeting for the first time! They are only 7 days apart!
Eating at Rudy's- yeah we're tourists!

6) Zoos really stink! I mean literally. I asked myself over and over why I bothered to take a shower before going to the zoo- no one else did! In fact, the stench reminded me of Amarillo.
Stopping to take a "drink break"
They had a great little swimming area in the kids section of the zoo. Ava had a blast!

"My daddy is SO BRAVE!"Yes, Ava is wearing a harness. I used to look at people who harness/leash their children as terrible parents! I have totally joined their club. After having a child that cannot sit still, I decided I had two choices, lose her or look like a terrible parent and leash my child. I chose the latter. It was great because it allowed her to get out of her stroller, but still be close to us.
This is the rhino that Ava remembers. When we asked her what she saw at the zoo she always says, "pee pee." The rhino took a HUGE potty right in front of us- it looked like a fire hydrant! You can tell that Ava is being potty trained when the one thing she remembers from her day at the zoo is pee pee!
Humidity = fluffy, fuzzy hair!
Tal sat up like a big boy in the stroller
Monkeys!- I mean IN the cage!
7) Ava just might be a receptionist. She is totally infatuated with telephones. We don't have a land line, so I bet she thought our Hotel phone was a Texas sized cell! She always said "hi" and "okay, baby" before she hung up.
"Can I help you?"
"C-ya"

8) We missed hanging out with Jed and Rachel. I can't believe we had baby boys within a week of each other. We were both puking our guts out at the same time and had NO IDEA! The kids had a great time playing with one another.
Nolan (11-13-07) Talmage (11-20-07)
Breaking in all of Baby Nolan's toys- Ava really took to Rachel and Jed!
Proud Papas
Ava's new best friend- Rachel feeding Ava Ryan ice cream
"Okay, boys, now you need to share!"
9) The alamo is surprisingly small! Honestly, I didn't really even know what the Alamo was, so I got a little history lesson on our trip. I guess in my mind it was a lot bigger!
A quick diaper change after learning all about the Alamo

10) The Riverwalk is a pretty neat place. We strolled around and looked at things before stopping to eat at the Rainforest Cafe. Ave Ryan was startled every 10 minutes when the animals came to life. The big gorilla sitting above us scared her most of all. Soon she was convinced we were in Chucky Cheese and was fine for the rest of the meal! Tal slept through it while Nolan loved every minute of the action!
Standing in front of the river- maybe we should try this picture again!
Much Better!
"Protect me from that scary gorilla, Daddy!"
It is sooooo scary, Mommy!
Rachel, Nolan, & Jed hangin' out in the rainforest!
11) Going home stinks! We had such a wonderful time seeing the sights in San Antonio and visiting friends that we didn't want to leave. I could totally live in a city with great malls, great food, and a Container Store! What more could you ask for?
Time to leave
I cannot even begin to tell you how many times Ava pushed the emergency button in the elevator! She sure loved riding in it!

No comments:

You have to watch this! Parents of Miss Teen South Carolina

Ava Ryan

Ava Ryan
Reading her book and acting silly!!