...until Tal's "milk challenge." Then, we will go see our endocrinologist/genetic specialist the first week of November to have blood drawn to see how Talmage's body is reacting to the introduction of milk into his diet. If his blood work comes back normal, well normal for a D. Galactosemic, then we will be given the go-ahead to include small amounts of milk in his diet, beginning with whole milk and moving to other "milk saturated" foods. Can you believe this child has never tasted ICE CREAM?! Poor baby! To say that I am nervous about the 7 day test is an understatement. While I have a good feeling about the challenge and Tal's enzyme activity level being enough to handle the milk, I still worry about my baby boy. I guess I am just grateful that he doesn't have the much more dangerous form of the disease, Classic Galactosemia.
**Okay: rant time! It DRIVES ME CRAZY when Tal's diagnosis is compared to lactose intolerance and then someone goes into some LOOOONG story about how their brother's monkey's uncle's baby has lactose intolerance, too. Lactose intolerance doesn't require numerous apointments with an endocrinologist, a milk challenge at one year, cataracts checks, and a genetic test to diagnose.**
Sorry about that, sometimes I just need to get things off my chest. On a lighter (and much nicer) note, I found a few links online about the milk challenge and duarte galactosemia in general. We have been waiting for this test since we found out about Tal's condition and can't wait to get more answers and reassurance that he will be fine.
Old McDonald's Farm
12 years ago



1 comment:
I hope Tal's test comes back fine. We'll be thinking about you guys!
Post a Comment