
The past 24 hours have been interesting and scary. As you know, Talmage is scheduled to begin his "milk challenge" to see how well he tolerates milk sugars. Well, we ran out of soy formula and the specialist told me that I should begin his challenge 7-10 days before his visit/bloodwork, so I decided to start it Friday. Around 6:30 pm he reluctantly drank an 8oz bottle of whole milk and went down for a nap. When he woke up, I noticed that he was running a fever (102), so I gave him Tylenol and watched him like a hawk- all along thinking it must be the milk. We woke up continuously throughout the night to check on our little "soy boy." Unfortunately, he still wasn't better by morning and even with Tylenol his temperature was staying right around 102.6. So we headed to the pediatrician to rule out the flu and strep. Both tests came back negative, but we did find out that he had what looked like the beginning of an ear infection. I hate to say this, but I was somewhat relieved that the temperature was not due to the milk. So the pediatrician asked me to take him off of all lactose and prescribed him an antibiotic.
Soon, things turned pretty bad. By 3:00 his temperature, on Tylenol, had risen to 104. I quickly called the doctor and was asked to strip him, put him in a cool bath, and give him Motrin in addition to the Tylenol. I was only able to get his temperature down to about 102 before it would shoot back up again. I called the hospital two times to inquire as to whether or not to bring him in. After the second call and HOURS of trying to get it to go down, it rose to 104.8!! It was complete misery watching him scream in a tub of cold water and cry for "mama." Even though he thought we were torturing him, we were doing everything to keep our little guy safe. We had one of our really good friends, Becca, "on-call" to come and stay with Ava- oh, did I mention that Ava had a fiasco of her own- vomit EVERYWHERE- now I know what happens after a HUGE spaghetti dinner and lots of bouncing in her crib. Needless to say, at 1 am we were all up- Tal in the bath, Matt washing Ava's sheets, and Ava (happy as a lark) lying on the living room floor watching The Little Mermaid.
Luckily, Tal's temperature began to go down around 3am and after very looong marathon of House. When we finally put him to bed at 7am, after he peed all over our bed, we quickly changed the sheets and got in a few hours before Ava started calling us!
Now, we are all healthy again and I spent most of the day cleaning up last night's mess!



3 comments:
I'm glad Tal is feeling better. It's so scary when they run a fever that high and I'm sure you were already worried sick about the milk test.
Poor guy. He looks so pitiful. Get well soon Tal and Ava (did she really end up being sick, or was that kind of like sympathy vomiting?)!
Hope all goes well with the milk testing, and also that you guys don't have too many more days of infections, fever, and vomiting. Keep all of us blog readers updated...
(And on a lighter note, you're right about Joe the Plumber, or should I say, Joe the next congressman of Toledo.)
Poor guy. He was a very sick little man. He is so handsome even if he is sick in the pics. When you all get sick you get sick little Ava must love Carbs a little too much!
Post a Comment