Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Baby food













As many of you know, I have been making Tal's baby food so that I can be sure of the ingredients he is consuming. Right now we have to be very careful concerning solid foods. However, next month we see the specialist and we will be given a list of foods that are 100% safe for him to eat. (For example, he is beginning to teeth, so I whipped out the teething tablets that I gave Ava. Luckily, I took a peek at the ingredients. Who would have ever guessed that they have a lactose base?? So I can't use them with Talmage- darn, they were a life saver!)

The first veggies I tried were broccoli, carrots, and squash. They turned out well, if I don't say so myself! He is having a tough time knowing what to do with the food when it is in his mouth, so I help him wash it down with a bottle. On the other hand, Ava loves the food. She will not leave my side when I feed him. She continuously says, "bite, bite." Last night I went to United to find more veggies to try. This week I will puree sweet potatoes and butternut squash- Yummo!



I am also currently reading Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld to get ideas on how to incorporate veggies, ect. into everyday meals. If you are interested, the website is http://www.deceptivelydelicious.com/site/
So far I have found this book very helpful in my quest to make my own baby food!

4 comments:

The Duchess said...

I'm pretty impressed that you are making your own baby food. But why? Is Tal lactose-intolerant?

Taylor Anne Vail said...

your baby food looks so pretty in the ice trays!

Rachel said...

Erin,I am planning on making Nolan's baby food also. Deceptively Delicious inspired me. It really spells it out and makes it sound so easy. I've already tried a few recipies from the cookbook and we really like them. I googled making baby food and found a good website
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/solids.htm
The ice tray is supposed to work great. And I figure that the cost of a good puree machine will off-set the cost of baby food. Good luck!

Mahan Family said...

Erin, you make me feel like the biggest slacker ever. Our dinner tonight? Gabe's: Subway sandwich and carrot sticks. Mine: warmed-up taco casserole. Barry's: ate out with a friend (he knew there was no hope tonight at our house!)

You have to watch this! Parents of Miss Teen South Carolina

Ava Ryan

Ava Ryan
Reading her book and acting silly!!